Sunday 9 October 2011

Make it Strange - Jen Hadfield

I have a crick in my neck and a stiff back right now, probably because I've been hunched over a laptop all week putting together a poem for this week's exercise of my online poetry course. The course is run by The Poetry School and this course, tutored by one of my favourite poets, Jen Hadfield, is called  'Make it Strange'.

And what is surfacing certainly is strange. But at the same time quite quite magical.

There is a wonderliciously liberating feeling as you grub around on your elbows under the barbed wire of self-censorship and smuggle out a word or two that would never have otherwise got to the page.

2 comments:

  1. well, i have nothing to say now, having stared out of the window and thought it all, about strange and ordinary, for a good ten minutes, so i think i should say instead, simply say for the prompt, strange and ordinary, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am v jealous, so there's a strange symmetry. One night out a week seems my max and that's currently a Thursday. Tonight huge traffic jams between here and London foiled my attempted escape. I got to the M40 and then my husband who understands roads informed me I hadn't a prayer of making it on time to the art installation I really wanted to see. It all felt very biblical and pointed. Isn't narcissism a wonderful thing? Tail firmly between legs but glad yours is up and wagging.

    ReplyDelete